Boherna Lodge B&B offers a wide range of attractions with in and around Holycross.
These are just a few of the local attractions within Holycross:
“That the Cross of Christ may not be emptied of its power”
is the insription on the renovated altar at Holycross Abbey. This insription accurately describes the reason for making Holycross Abbey the inspiration it is for hundreds of years, and continues to be for thousands of pilgrims and visitors.
Farney Castle is the home and design studio of Irish International Designer, Cyril Cullen, and it is the only RoundTower in Ireland occupied as a family home.
The castle was originally built at Farney in 1185 and this would have been a timber structure at the time.The present round tower was built in 1495 by Thomas Butler, 7th Earl of Ormond, and it was part of a defensive system created by the Butlers to protect their land in Tipperary. The Butlers were in Farney Castle for 500 years but in 1536 the castle was confiscated by King Henry VIII of England.
The following is a few tourist attractions around the Holycross area:
Thurles (4 miles from Holycross)
- Thurles Cathedral – The magnificent Cathedral of the Assumption stands on the site of earlier chapels in the centre of Thurles in North County Tipperary. Building commenced in 1865, and the impressive Romanesque cathedral, with its fade modelled on that of Pisa, was consecrated by Archbishop Croke on 21st June 1879.
- St Mary’s Famine Museum – The Protestant Church of St. Mary’s in Thurles is the site of the official Pre-Reformation Church of Thurles. The original structure was built by the Normans, in the 12th century, to provide them with a separate and more exclusive place of worship.
- Thurles Golf Course – Designed by Lionel Hewson, Thurles Golf Club is a 6,465 yards par 72 with a standard scratch of 71 off the back tees. The first thing that will strike you as you play this fine mature tree lined course, is you go under the main Cork-Thurles road to play the first tee. Thurles has a fine clubhouse with excellent catering and friendliness.
- GreyHound Track – Thurles Greyhound Stadium, County Tipperary promises a great night out with a difference. Racing every Friday and Saturday night from 8pm.
Cashel (8 miles from Holycross)
- Rock of Cashel – It’s huge, it’s complex, it’s iconic, there is nothing like it anywhere else in the world and it’s right here in Cashel at the heart of Tipperary. The Rock of Cashel (Carraig Phádraig), more formally St. Patrick’s Rock, it is also known as Cashel of the Kings. Reputedly the site of the conversion of Aenghus the King of Munster by St. Patrick in the 5th century AD.
- Cashel Folk Village – Cashel folk village is a delightful series of informal reconstructions of various traditional thatched village shops, a forge, and other businesses, together with a penal Chapel situated in a confined area within the town of Cashel, near to the famous Rock Of Cashel.
- Bru Boru – Brú Ború is a national cultural centre at the foot of the Rock of Cashel. This cultural village is designed around a village green and is a home to the study and celebration of native Irish music, song, dance, theatre and Celtic studies. It has a folk theatre, genealogy centre, restaurant and other amenities.
- Cashel Heritage Centre – The Heritage Centre invites you to investigate the rich heritage of Cashel, one of Ireland’s most significant Ecclesiastical Centres.It provides the visitor with a series of changing exhibitions, a large- scale model of Cashel in the 1640’s, highlighting the lesser-known treasures of the town.
There are also many tourist attractions near by such as:
Cahir Castle (Irish: Caisleán na Cathrach), one of the largest castles in Ireland, is sited on an island in the river Suir. It was built in 1142 by Conor O’Brien, Prince of Thomond. Now situated in Cahir town centre, South Tipperary the castle is well preserved and has guided tour and audiovisual shows in multiple languages.
The Swiss cottage is located at Kilcommon near the town of Cahir, South Tipperary in Ireland. It was built around 1810 and is a fine example of cottage ornée, or ornamental cottage. It was originally part of the estate of Lord and Lady Cahir, and used for entertaining guests. The cottage was probably designed by the architect John Nash, famous for designing many Regency buildings.